Here's What We're Teaching
Tonight we are continuing in our series called Out of This World.
Last week, Justin Laskowski taught in Nitro (Middle School), and this week he will be teaching in Fusion (High School). As a result of that, the parent cue is essentially the same as last week, except that the content has been flipped: what was taught in MIDDLE SCHOOL last week will be taught in HIGH SCHOOL this week. Make sense?
In Nitro (Middle School):
We'll be talking about living a consistently godly life. It's easy to be one person at school, one person at home, and one person at church. But if we're going to shine like stars in our dark world (Philippians 2:14-15) then our behavior is going to have to be different than the world around us. That's why we need to PRAY for others who are far from God AND that He would give us the strength to live consistently godly lives which give us a platform for telling others about Jesus.
Bottom Line: Bring WHO you are to WHERE you are.
In Fusion (High School):
We'll be talking about selfishness. Our world tells us to focus on "#1" and make sure that we take care of ourselves. But the Bible says to believe that others are more important than ourselves (Philippians 2:3-4). The most selfish thing we could do is to NOT tell someone about Jesus who is destined for an eternity without him.
Bottom Line: Putting others first means loving them enough to tell them about Jesus.
- Why do you think it's so easy to act one way around school friends and another way around family/church?
- Do you ever feel torn between those worlds?
- Why is it so important to live DIFFERENTLY than the world around us? (Answer: We can only SHINE in the darkness if there is a CONTRAST between how we live and how they live)
- What's ONE thing you could do this week to make sure you bring who you truly are to where you are? (Aka, how can you live a more consistently godly life this week?)
- Parent: Tell about a time that you chose to blend in rather than stand out in your behavior and how that impacted your ability to tell others about Jesus.
- What's something selfish that you've done before?
- Has anyone ever done something that hurt or offended you that was selfish?
- Why do we often feel we can't tell others about Jesus?
- At the end of the day... aren't those reason ultimately selfish?
- What can we do together to focus on people's NEED for Jesus rather than our selfish reason to hesitate?
- Parent: Tell about a time that you got over your selfishness and told someone about Jesus.