We're Teaching This:
We tend to think that prayer only has one feature: ASKING FOR HELP.
We’ve all been there. Our day doesn’t go as planned. We get pulled over for speeding. Or we find out our job is on the line. And what do we do? We pray. We pray those quick “crisis” prayers. The, “please God help me get out of this situation” prayers. And honestly, there is nothing wrong with praying that way or about those things, but what if God intended for our prayer life to be more than just “help me” prayers?
The truth is, God wants us in constant communication with Him. Not because He demands it. No, because He simply wants us to talk to Him.
Here are 4 types of prayers that the Bible outlines that we can easily ignore.
- Worship: Complement God. “When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?” Psalm 8:3-4 (ESV)
- Gratitude: Thank God. "Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever." Psalm 107:1 (NIV)
- Confession: Ask for forgiveness. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9 (NIV)
- Others: Pray for others. “Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” James 5:16 (NIV)
The Bottom Line: Decide today that you will learn to pray.
We want students to walk away with a renewed commitment to learn that prayer is more than just asking God for stuff - it's the foundation of their relationship with their Heavenly Father.
- What types of prayers do you normally pray? "God help me" type prayers?
- What were the 4 other types of prayer they talked about at Nitro/Fusion?
- What is an example of each of those types of prayers? When would you use each one?
- Where there any types of prayer that you thought were interesting? Weird? Scary? Confusing?
- Which one of those 4 types of prayer do you want to work on this week?
- Let's pray together and commit that we will LEARN TO PRAY.