We're Teaching This:
We are continuing in our series KNOW GOD this week at NYM.
What is Love? - That's a question that has haunted the minds and live of every person at some point. Our experiences shape our view of what love is... is it words of affirmation? A Feeling? A sunset on the beach? Saying "I do"?
1 John 4 teaches that, ultimately, God is Love. But not only is He love itself (as in, He embodies perfect love), God also demonstrated the perfect act of love. 1 John 4:10 says, "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."
Jesus stood in our place. Took our punishment. Took our pain. Died our death. That is the perfect demonstration of love. This isn't just some storybook fantasy relationship... it was the real God of the universe dying a horrific death for His enemies.
God is Love. And He demonstrated that through the death of His Son, Jesus. That truth is called The Gospel - The Good News.
And because God loved us, we should love others. But our focus tonight is on the fact that God loved us, and that Good News should be embraced everyday. The gospel is the only foundation for obedience! So everyday we should re "preach" the gospel to our hearts to that we will be motivated to love BY the love of God for us.
The Bottom Line - God is Love: Embrace the Gospel Everyday
- Before tonight, how would you have defined love?
- What was the bottom line tonight?
- What does "gospel" mean? (Answer: Good News)
- What does it mean that Jesus died "in our place"?
- Have you ever placed your faith in Jesus as your forgiver/leader?
- Have you ever thought about the fact that the gospel could motivate you to please God everyday?
- What could we do as a family to embrace the gospel everyday?