Parent Cue - September 28, 2016
Tonight, we're wrapping up our series called IN OTHER WORDS.
Sometimes at church, it can feel like one long running inside joke if you don't understand the words that are getting thrown around. In this series, we've been attempting to define some key words that can help familiarize people with what we're all about.
Tonight, we're defining the word SANCTIFICATION. It's a long word that just references the process of being more set apart, more holy over time. Basically, it means becoming MORE LIKE JESUS.
However, we want students to understand that this is a PROCESS (that means sometimes it's going to go well, and sometimes it won't). It's like a movie when you don't know the ending... there are ups and downs, and twists and turns, and it can get a little scary in there. But it isn't just a process, it's a process with a GUARANTEE. The guarantee is the good news of Jesus - we have already been forgiven for our mistakes, before we even commit them! We have a SECURE relationship with JEsus for eternity!
Movies are tense when you don't know how it ends.. it makes the process scary. But if you get a spoiler about the ending, you can watch without fear of what's going to happen. The Gospel is the ultimate spoiler alert - our growth is a process WITH A ROCK SOLID GUARANTEE. We are being made like Christ, but WE ARE ALREADY SECURE IN HIM.
Bottom Line: Sanctification is a process with a Guarantee.
- What is sanctification? (The process of being made more and more like Jesus)
- In what way is it a process?
- How does it have a guarantee?
- What is that guarantee?
- Is the good news of Jesus just for people who don't know God? (NO! Christ-Followers need to be reminded of the guarantee of their forgiveness everyday!)
- Are there other "Church words" that you want to know the definition of?
- Parent: Tell about a time when you first understood what a "Church Word" meant and how it made a difference in your life.