FOR STUDENTS - In week 3 of this series, we'll be having a panel of pastors and leaders from our church answering questions and telling their story related to sexuality and purity. In order to facilitate that discussion, we will be asking students to submit questions (anonymously) at NYM tonight. If they choose not to use a paper format, we will have a place for questions to be submitted online throughout the series HERE.
FOR PARENTS - We will also be having an opportunity for parents on Week 3 (April 12th). More details will be released in the coming days, but we will be having a small "breakout" environment for parents who would like to hear some teaching and ask some questions about how to talk to your kids about sex and guide them to see sex God's way. Keep your eyes peeled for lots of resources coming your way during this series... we want to be helpful to you in this unique area.
We're Teaching This:
Here we go! We're kicking off our 3 week series on sex and sexuality. Tonight, our goal is to give an overview of what the Bible has to say about Sex and what that means for our lives.
This series is based around the reality that our culture has blurred the lines of what sex is and what it is for. As a result of that sometimes subtle (and sometimes overt) warping of the truth, our culture has paid the price for sexual sin - broken homes, shame, regret, abuse and so much more. That's why we need to recalibrate to the Biblical standard and see that God has so much more planned for sex and sexuality.
Overall, the Bible explains that Sex was invented by God to be enjoyed inside of heterosexual marriage. We'll be emphasizing that despite this seemingly "limiting" view, God actual designed these parameters to allow sex to reach its full potential, not prevent its full enjoyment.
Purity is living a life without lust. Lust is sexual desire turned toward anyone other than a spouse. without pursuing purity, we have no chance of experiencing sex in the way that God intended - free of guilt, and full of joy.
Bottom Line: Purity paves the way to intimacy.
- What stood out to you from tonight's talk?
- Do you have questions about anything that you heard?
- What is purity? (Living life without lust)
- Why is living a life of purity important?
- How is what you heard tonight different from what you hear at school or from friends?
- When or where is it hardest in your life to choose purity? How can I help you with that struggle?
- Parent: Share a bit of your story related to sexual purity. Be sure to emphasize God's power in helping you please Him! It is likely your child can't picture you ever feeling what they're feeling about sex. It's important they know you can relate - you were there once!